Thursday, February 9, 2012

Color Class Lesson 6

Just a couple of landscapes I wanted to post before I leave for the week.

I spent the day putting together a variety of landscapes and found that as I was playing around with my stash of paper I wanted to make more.  Just didn't have the right colors, texture, etc.  This thing can be addictive.

The left one seems to be overpowering RED.. don't know if I should do something or just be happy with RED.  Sorry about the glare but the glue wasn't dry and I didn't want to scan it wet.


Below I started with shades of orange using a brayer for the  background then cut a stencil of freeze paper and brayed on the purple and pieces of orange painted tissue paper...

I noticed on both pieces that when using the credit card over tissue that has been put down with matt or gloss gel medium I get color transfer which helps dull the colors a bit.  I like the effect.


 I found it very difficult sometimes to determine warm and cool colors  .. As Jane points out color temperature is somewhat subjective. ... such as the 2nd row of colors she presented in the lesson.  I waffled back and forth trying to see the difference.  I felt stymied.

In selecting colors for the project I gathered together sets of colors to work with but continued to change my mind as to temperature, wondering if this or that color was really warm.. or cool.   So back to the subjective aspect.... at this point it seems to me that color temperature most often is determined by the surrounding colors.

That's it for now.  I won't be posting for a week.  I hope to be sketching and thinking of ideas for the rest of the projects.

2 comments:

  1. this comp is very interesting to me BJ. It's like a sunset in the desert...super beautiful & your painted papers are to die for...great textures. cc

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this one, BJ. Can't wait to see what you do with the composition class.

    ReplyDelete