Friday, February 17, 2012

 What a week!!!
I spent this past week in the Machine Embroidery class at  Gail Harkers  Creative Studies Center.  We first dyed/painted a variety of fabrics with DynFlow dye.  Then after heat setting these dyed fabrics we began to experiment with combinations of fabric and backing, testing out our sewing machine learning how to make them do what we wanted.  Kinda.  We tried different stitches and threads combinations.  We did "cut back" work and even burned out some fabrics.

Below are couple of  samples completed in class
              Amazing what can be accomplished with the simple zig zag stitch on dyed fabric with  the right combination of  thread and  backing.


Here I layered different fabrics and burned back layers.                       

It was a great week.  I learned a lot and am inspired to continue working at home with my stash!

4 comments:

  1. I am inspired BJ. These samples look incredibly interesting! I may consider the machine stitch class in the future, I love what you have done here. I am curious about your machine and the range of stitches that you may have. I love your collage contributions btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa BJ! That second one is beyond gorgeous! How big is this piece? How long does that much stitching take? Wowza...love it! cc

    ReplyDelete
  3. These pictures really inspired me to explore the limits of the stitches on my machine! They are beautiful and amazing - so exciting to find new "media" as it were, to add to collage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, BJ. It's a fun class isn't it?? Are you going to carry on? Gail's classes are addictive!

    ReplyDelete