Monday, January 16, 2012

Self Portrait - Lesson 1


Anyhow... here's my process for the first lesson.  After obtaining a photo of myself, I converted it to B&W via Photoshop elements and lightened it.  Looks like I was thinking about how to do this and not very excited about the process.

Then I traced a number of copies on tissue paper of the photo.


 Here I applied the tracing to my my small sketchbook page. Strathmore Drawing medium, 6"x8", 80 lb

Used matt medium to adhere, let dry  and began applying paint, added stamps.. paint... and kind of played.  Not really happy with results... but loved to play.







The drag tool is now working?

These two are done on Biggie Jr Drawing Pad, 90lb.  9"x12"

The tracing was done after some paint application and some collage materials were applied.



I played around with these for many days.. adding paints, stamps, removing paint, covering up and redoing.    I can see that my drawing could have been darker on all the attempts.. but couldn't see it while I was working.  In fact can you find me in the right one?  I hardly can.  Not real happy with the right one... like the colors, but a little too much darkness on the left side.     I am thinking that perhaps I could scan my work and look at it on the computer... I seem to see more clearly than when up close an personal.    Or perhaps just stand back and look... novel idea?

At first I had difficulty in lighting up my paint.. as you can see by this morbid attempt

Then I went a little crazy... such fun.
I really enjoyed the process and am amazed that what I see through the lens of my glasses are not a precise as the camera.....  oh those lines.   But delighted with the opportunity to remake my image.  hee hee.

No comments:

Post a Comment